This page describes data projects on which I have worked. For the files necessary to reproduce the findings reported in my published research, see the "Publications & Replication Files" page.
Nuclear Latency (NL) Dataset
The NL dataset provides information on the global diffusion of latent nuclear capabilities from 1939 to 2012. It identifies all known uranium enrichment and plutonium reprocessing facilities that have been built globally during the nuclear age.
- NL Dataset v1.2. This file contains facility-specific information on 253 sensitive nuclear plants constructed from 1939 to 2012.
- NL Dataset Codebook. This document describes all of the variables contained in the file "NL Dataset v1.2" and discusses some limitations of the dataset.
- Country-Year Dataset. This file contains two measures of nuclear latency, based on the NL dataset, in a format suitable for time-series cross-sectional analysis. The variables included in this file are described here.
- Summary Table. This file summarizes the information contained in the file "Country-Year Dataset." In addition, a list of borderline cases is available here.
- Country Coding Sheets. These country-level documents describe the information contained in the dataset and provide a list of the sources used to make coding decisions.
- All files. This link provides all of the files described above in a single folder.
- Citation: Fuhrmann, Matthew and Benjamin Tkach. 2015. "Almost Nuclear: Introducing the Nuclear Latency Dataset." Conflict Management and Peace Science 32 (4): 443-461.
Foreign Nuclear Deployment (FND) Dataset
The FND dataset contains information on foreign nuclear deployments from 1945 to 2000. Drawing on declassified documents, it identifies more than 20 cases in which states stationed nuclear forces on the territory of another country.
- Case descriptions. PDF.
- Citation: Fuhrmann, Matthew and Todd S. Sechser. 2014. "Signaling Alliance Commitments: Hand-Tying and Sunk Costs in Extended Nuclear Deterrence." American Journal of Political Science 58 (4): 919-935.
Targeting Nuclear Programs (TNP) Dataset
The TNP dataset identifies cases in which countries considered using military force to delay their adversaries' nuclear programs. It covers the period from 1941 to 2000.
- Case descriptions. PDF.
- Citation: Fuhrmann, Matthew and Sarah E. Kreps. 2010. "Targeting Nuclear Programs in War and Peace: A Quantitative Empirical Analysis, 1941-2000." Journal of Conflict Resolution 54 (6): 831-859.
Nuclear Cooperation Agreement (NCA) Dataset
The NCA dataset contains information on nuclear cooperation agreements signed by countries from 1945 to 2003. It includes more than 1,500 treaties in which states pledged to transfer nuclear technology, materials, or know-how. The dataset is based on the 2003 version of James Keeley's list of nuclear cooperation agreements.