My current research addresses the following topics:
- Costly signaling in international relations.
- The diffusion of military technologies.
- Alliance politics.
- Compliance with international commitments.
- The role of individual leaders in world politics.
- "Influence without Bombs: The Logic of Latent Nuclear Deterrence."
- "When Do Leaders Free-Ride? Business Experience and Contributions to International Public Goods."
- "How Do Leaders Assess Intentions Under Uncertainty? Costly Signaling and Leader Backgrounds in Nuclear Diplomacy."
- "Leaders and Military Conflict" (with Michael C. Horowitz).
- "Broken Promises: Multilateralism, Free Riding, and the Sanctioning Problem in Alliance Commitments" (with Molly Berkemeier).
- "Moral Hazard and Nuclear Alliance Commitments" (with Todd S. Sechser).
- "Bilateral Diplomacy and Nuclear Nonproliferation Commitments."
- "A Spatial Model of Nuclear Technology Diffusion" (with Benjamin Tkach and Scott Cook).